June 11, 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 7:02 PM by President Easton Craft. Board members present: Easton Craft, Maggie Taber, Cindy Esselman, Dave Fosmire, Steve Johnston, Jeff Gough, Jim McCulloch, and BJ Oneal.

Approved June meeting agenda and May meeting minutes (with no updates/edits).

PRESIDENT, Easton Craft –

Carlson litigation:

On May 17, 2019 the Court dismissed all of Carlson’s claims against Defendants and the Club (which intervened in order to protect the Covenants). The dismissal was with prejudice, meaning the claims cannot be brought again. The Court further held that monetary sanctions in the form of reasonable attorney’s fees to be paid by Carlson were warranted because his claims were deemed legally frivolous. The amount of the sanctions/attorney’s fees award will be determined via a subsequent hearing.

To recap what was at stake with regard to Carlson’s claims, Carlson wanted the Court to:

    • Sideline the Club’s internal compliance process and leave individual Club members to have to go to Court every time;
    • Restrict which members (lots) are entitled to enforce the Covenants;
    • Limit when fines could be imposed for noncompliance;
    • Effectively repeal Covenants 10 and 11 at least as to vegetation;
    • Eliminate the Bylaw requirement that any court challenge to a Club compliance decision must be brought within 21 days of issuance (leaving compliance decisions open to attack for years after they are rendered (and meanwhile no compliance);
    • Impose a doctrine, barring members from seeking tree/vegetation compliance if the member’s lot is not in compliance with all Covenants, not just Covenants having to do with vegetation. (So, for example, if you had a noncompliant shed, or a home business, or anything not allowed under the Covenants, then you could not ask for compliance to address view obstruction by your neighbor’s trees.

Carlson recently filed a motion asking the Court to reconsider its ruling. The Court has asked the Club to respond. The Club’s Response is due June 11th. Carlson can submit a Reply on June 12th. The Court has indicated it will decide the Motion for Reconsideration on June 13. The Club’s attorneys believe that Carlson’s Motion for Reconsideration should be denied, and that the compliance process should at long last be underway this summer on the Carlson lot.

The Court did not rule on May 17th on the Club’s counterclaims against Carlson. The trial date on those claims has been continued several months to allow time to see if those claims can be decided prior to an actual trial.

Storm Creek:

Steve Johnston, Peter Eglick, and Easton Craft attended a meeting on June 6th at Shoreline City Hall about Storm Creek. City and Ronald Wastewater representatives were in attendance along with Innis Arden members who own property along Storm Creek and their attorney.

As noted last month, the City is attempting to obtain grant funding from the King County Flood District for Storm Creek work. The grant would be for a substantial sum and potentially pay for up to half of the approximately million-dollar cost of the work.   Per the City’s request, the Club has prepared for submission to the Flood District a letter of support for the grant application. Approval of the grant would be a significant milestone in resolution of concerns about Storm Creek.


Hjelle’s lawyer has not provided a substantive response to a late May request by Club counsel for a status report on submission of applications to the City.  The Club will continue monitoring.


Tynan was given until June 15th to deal with the blackberry bushes – the other vegetation / trees have been in compliance for some time now.

Assuming all is progressing in terms of compliance, E&W will send a letter and take steps to wrap up the lawsuit

Reserve Trees:

The Club is still awaiting a formal proposal from the City for vegetation management plan that includes view preservation.



NOTE: All Compliance hearings are held at the Innis Arden Clubhouse at 7:00PM unless noted otherwise.

Nothing to report for this month beyond what is noted in the President report.



The Buchmayr Shed

1086 NW Innis Arden Drive

The Board review has been postponed until the August Board meeting.

There was a question from the community whether the Board has received updated landscape and fencing plans for the McNaughton property, 1098 NW Innis Arden Drive. The Board responded that they have not and will reach out again to the McNaughtons to obtain a copy.

Projects for July Board review:



18747 Ridgefield RD NW



Master Bath Addition

18636 17th Ave NW


TREASURER, Jeff Gough –

We have transitioned from Cole Property Management for bookkeeping, accounting, accounts receivable, and accounts payable over to Huebner, Dooley, & McGinness, P.S. (HDM).  HDM is a more local and less expensive alternative and we’re also hopeful our level of reporting access will be increased.  Cole Property Management has served us diligently since 2002 and we thank them for their efforts.  Please be sure and direct any future requests related to your annual dues, or escrow requests for property sales, etc. to chrism@hdm-cpa.com.  Future dues payments can be made to the following address, which will be made clear on dues mailer notices going forward:


The Innis Arden Club c/o HDM

1424 NE 155th Street

Suite 100

Shoreline, WA 98155


Cole Property is still active with us through a portion of this month for transition efforts and will direct questions, requests, and payments to HDM to ensure nothing gets dropped.

We have received an updated Swim Club Loan Guaranty from Washington Trust Bank that, at least initially, appears more aligned with our agreed upon expectations.  We will be reviewing the agreement in the coming days, working toward an executable version.

At the close of March, the Club Operating Checking balance was $41,813, the Collections Savings balance was $262,159 and the Asset Reserve Savings was $277,110.


CLUBHOUSE, Brian Branagan


We are still looking for someone to clean the club after rentals, starting July 1st.  Please contact me if you have any recommendations.


We hosted two nonprofit fundraising events, the Innis Arden Men’s Night Out, a wedding and resident graduation parties during the month of May.

We are looking forward to June which will have more graduation parties, resident events, and the transfer of Clubhouse duties to Cheryl Malone, the new Clubhouse Manager.

Income was $1,395 with refunds at $725.


GROUNDS, Jim McCulloch –

2019 Objectives for the Grounds Committee:

  • Maintain and improve the existing lawn and planting beds around the Clubhouse
  • Maintain the Innis Arden Main Entrance and other Innis Arden Entrances.
  • Improve lawn areas by removing moss and re-seeding.

Work Items Completed Last Month:

  • Main Entrance:
    • Weekly maintenance.
    • Seasonal pruning
  • Grounds:
    • Weekly maintenance.

Work Items Scheduled this Month:

  • Continue weekly maintenance of Grounds and Entrances.

ROW Trees

  • 1463 NW 186th St: (One 18” deciduous):  Completed; waiting final inspection by City.
  • 18742 Ridgefield Rd. NW (One 30” Conifer):  City denied hazardous tree assessment; proceeding with standard ROW Tree removal permitting with City.
  • 16904 14th Ave NW (Two 14” Conifers):  City confirmed location of trees are within ROW; proceeding with City permitting process.


Other Items

  • Reminder: Please note requirements for use of Grounds by organized sport teams:
    • Fields are NOT reserved; use is on first come first serve basis.
    • At least one member of the team must be a member of the HOA.
    • Team must provide the Grounds Chairperson a copy of their Certificate of Insurance showing Innis Arden Club as additionally insured, prior to use.


NATURAL RESERVES, Steve Johnston –


Weed whacking occurred as needed on the trail system. Measurement and planning occurred for a replacement bridge at the top of Eagle Reserve. The work should commence in late June. The trails will stay open during construction. Handrails were installed at Blue Heron steps to the concrete bridge at west end.

Invasive Plant Control

Garden Cycles is continuing planned invasive plant control throughout the reserves.

Storm Creek Erosion 

There was a very productive meeting with City, Ronald, IA adjacent neighbors and IAC Board reps

concerning the Storm Creek erosion control project.


ACTIVITIES, Maggie Taber –

Save the dates:

Annual Salmon BBQ – Wednesday, July 17th

Family Camp Out – Saturday, August 17th

Oktoberfest – Saturday, October 5th

2020 Rummage Sale – March 7-8, 2020

Our next event is the Annual Salmon BBQ.  Wednesday, July 17th from 5-8 pm.  Randi Fattizzi and Lella Norberg are co-chairing.  Tickets available via Brown Paper Tickets.   https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4267330

Please consider volunteering!  It takes many hands to put this event together.   https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c094aaaab2da0f58-51th.

The Summer Tennis Program registration is underway.  Kids classes are almost full, and adult classes are filling up as well.  We have 4 returning coaches, including Heather Falkin, who is a certified USTA professional. https://www.innisardentennis.com/

Jamie Holter is chairing a summer fun camp out night.  Saturday, August 17th.  Details TBA

The next Activities Meeting is Monday, July 1st.  7 pm at the clubhouse.  Please join us!

Shoreline Council of Neighborhoods:

Please see http://www.shorelinewa.gov/our-city/neighborhoods/council-of-neighborhoods/con-minutes for the meeting minutes from the Shoreline Council of Neighborhoods.

Community Comments:

  • A neighbor shared her comments with regard to working to build a different way to address tree compliance in the neighborhood.
  • A neighbor pointed out the importance of each neighbor being proactive in maintaining their property so there is not sound/mountain view impact to other neighbors.

Meeting adjourned at approximately 8:00 PM